Xcalak Guide Profile - Alan Beltran
Written by Rob Mukai on Mar. 03, 2021
We have a lot of great independent fly fishing guides here in Xcalak. I am putting up profiles of the guides in this space. I have personally been out fishing with every one that is highlighted here so I can personally vouch for their expertise and professionalism.
Alan is one of the up and coming guides here in Xcalak. Alan is originally from Xcalak, but spent some time inland in Chiapas before returning to Xcalak. He started guiding at Costa de Cocos, and has now moved over to Osprey Tours. I went out with Alan on a tough day, very windy, lots of clouds, and a good rain storm. But Alan is very good at spotting fish and handling the boat in tough conditions. He will get you in front of fish, it’s up to you to get them to eat though.
- What is your age? 31 Years old
- How many Years have you been guiding? One year or one Season before the pandemic
- What is your favorite fish to fish for? Permit
- What is your favorite fly? Mantis Shrimp (had a few nice permit with it)
- What is the name of your boat? I don't have one yet
- Why did you start guiding? I started because I loved it since the first time I went fishing with my uncle Moises since then I wanted to become a guide
- What do you like to do when you are not guiding? I like to spend time with my family and I like to go fly fishing up the coast.
- Do you tie your own flies? I was learning with Julio, he was teaching me how to tie mantis shrimp, but started to get a little busy in fly fishing and stopped going. But I’m definitely I'm going to start going again