Xcalak Guide Profile - Julio Gomez
Written by Rob Mukai on Dec. 23, 2020
We have a lot of great independent fly fishing guides here in Xcalak. I am putting up profiles of the guides in this space. I have personally been out fishing with every one that is highlighted here so I can personally vouch for their expertise and professionalism.
I had seen Julio around Xcalak for many years. His dad is the one who made the doors to my Inn. He was the head guide at Costa de Cocos for many years. Until he went Independent last year. He also guided Careto for the last 3 years in the Silver Scales Fly Fishing Tournament here in Xcalak. I finally got a chance to go out with him this week. We had challenging conditions with lots of clouds and couple of rain storms. Even so, I ended up getting over 20 good shots on permit. I can say his eyes are very good, knows the bay, and he will get you in position to make your shot.
- What is your Age? 30
- How many Years have you been Guiding? 12 Years
- Favorite fish to fish for? Tarpon
- What is your Favorite fly? Black death
- What is the Name of your boat(s)? The Silver king
- Why did you start guiding? I was invited to work as an assistant on a boat by a local guide .. And I fell in love with sport fishing
- What do you like to do when you are not guiding? When I'm not guiding I go lobster fishing .. Or I go fly fishing
- Do you tie your own flies? If Yes, what is your favorite fly to tie? I really want to get tying. I'm just starting to tie flies. I really like tying shrimp.