Xcalak Guide Profile - Orlando Batun
Written by Rob Mukai on Mar. 03, 2021
We have a lot of great independent fly fishing guides here in Xcalak. I am putting up profiles of the guides in this space. I have personally been out fishing with every one that is highlighted here so I can personally vouch for their expertise and professionalism.
Orlando is another one of the up and coming guides here in Xcalak. Orlando is Alejandro Batun’s cousin, so guiding is in his blood. Although he hasn’t been guiding for very long, he has years of experience in boats and knows how to handle them and where to find fish. The day we went out was pretty rough. But Orlando is very good at spotting fish and handling the boat in tough conditions. He will get you in front of fish, it’s up to you to get them to eat though.
- What is your Age? 38 years
- How many Years have you been Guiding? 1 Year
- Favorite fish to fish for? Permit
- What is your Favorite fly? Shrimp
- What is the Name of your boat(s)? Briana
- Why did you start guiding? Because I found it very interesting and it is the most common job, now I like it a lot.
- What do you like to do when you are not guiding? Go diving
- Do you tie your own flies? Affirmative, If Yes, what is your favorite fly to tie? shrimp